The Goan Church
Our Lady of Immaculate Conception Church
Located in the state capital of Panaji, Our Lady of Immaculate Conception Church is believed to have been originally built as a chapel in 1541, to serve the religious requirements of the Portuguese sailors. The chapel eventually developed into a parish in 1600, and a church took its place nine years later. Its symmetrical zigzag staircase was constructed in the 18th century. With one central landing and four perfectly symmetrical side landings, it is thought that the church was modelled after the Bom Jesus de Braga in Portugal.